How Top Right Thinking Impacts Business Productivity
25th July 23
We all know how our mood can affect our day. And if you’ve had a particularly good or bad interaction with someone, it can play on your mind and be a distraction.
In our recent podcast series on Top Right Thinking with Dulcie Swanston, we discuss how this translates to the workplace. Through our work studies, we have data to show how leaders can achieve better results from their colleagues by developing high levels of trust and, similarly, how being spoken to harshly can negatively impact performance.
What is Top Right Thinking?
Dulcie’s concept of Top Right Thinking emphasises the importance of trust and the right balance of challenge in driving performance and productivity in the workplace.
When leaders foster high levels of trust and provide appropriate challenges to their colleagues, they can achieve better results – and, crucially for busy leaders, without the need for constant supervision or reassurance.
Dulcie coaches people to be aware of where they currently sit in terms of the trust they have within their teams and how well they use that as an opportunity to provide appropriate challenge, and how to achieve the sweet spot that drives great results.
How does this affect productivity?
The impact of Top Right Thinking on business productivity is significant. Here are a few ways it can affect productivity:
- Time and Engagement: When leaders cultivate a culture of trust, employees feel more engaged and committed to their work. They are more likely to go the extra mile, take ownership of their tasks, and contribute proactively to the organisation’s goals. This high level of engagement directly translates into increased productivity.
- Reduced Stress and Anxiety: Creating an environment where colleagues feel safe and supported reduces stress and anxiety levels. It means colleagues can focus on their work, make better decisions, and perform at their best. Reduced stress leads to improved mental well-being and increased productivity.
- Motivation and Performance: The right balance of challenge can be a powerful motivator. When challenges are viewed as opportunities for growth rather than overwhelming obstacles and feedback is seen as helpful rather than critical, employees are more likely to rise to the occasion. They feel motivated to perform at their highest potential, leading to increased productivity and achievement of goals.
- Positive Work Relationships: Top Right Thinking encourages positive and constructive interactions between leaders and their colleagues. When leaders communicate in a respectful and supportive manner, it fosters healthy work relationships. Positive relationships promote collaboration, effective teamwork, and a sense of camaraderie, all of which contribute to improved productivity.
- Sustained Performance: By consistently applying Top Right Thinking principles, leaders can create an environment where sustained high performance becomes the norm. When employees experience a positive and supportive work environment, they are more likely to maintain their performance levels over time, leading to increased productivity in the long run.
Partnering with Dulcie, we conducted a time and motion study for a mutual client, monitoring pace to determine both the speed and quality of a job.
With Top Right Thinking in mind throughout the study, our consultants made observations to determine how this was linked to physical productivity. With an ideal performance rating of 100 nurtured by a culture of trust, we saw a decrease in ratings to 75-80 following interactions which had caused stress and anxiety. We also noted that interactions that were difficult for the colleague meant the productivity drop continued into the day – over an hour in most cases.
We have also seen opposite examples of positive interactions in the workplace which led to an increase in the effectiveness measurement of up to 10%.
What does this mean for your business?
These studies are evidence that the implementation of Top Right Thinking can transform the dynamics within a business and positively impact productivity. By focusing on building trust, providing appropriate challenges, and fostering positive relationships, leaders can unlock their colleagues’ full potential, resulting in improved performance and business outcomes.
Discover more about the relationship between Top Right Thinking and business productivity by listening to our latest podcast series with Dulcie.