What Is It?
A Time & Motion Study is a method used to establish exactly how long it takes your team to complete certain tasks
How does it help?
- Use the task times to underpin your budgeting and resource planning
- Benchmark your processes versus similar business to understand where time and cost saving opportunities can be accessed
- Break your tasks into smaller steps to uncover opportunities to speed up your processes
How do we do it?
- Observe and time your processes
- Create times for your tasks (Labour standards)
- Process and analyse your measurements and present the results in a clear and easy to use way
- Use industry benchmarks to provide comparisons for your data and to highlight opportunities for improvement
- Identify and quantify time and cost saving opportunities
- Guide practical application of labour standards to your business
- A DIY retailer changed their Click and Collect process after benchmarking showed they were off the pace
- A fashion retailer knew their stock processes were cumbersome and data showed how much effort they could redirect with digitization
- Franchise businesses like Pandora use measures to help them understand how consistently partners mange their local operations
- Time to serve customers at Wickes helped them fine tune a new counter service concept
- Vodafone and a busy fashion retailers both used customer journey timings to optimise their greeter policies and queue management tech
- Customer journey measurement helped optimise drive thru and new kiosk style service at a quick serve hospitality client
- Detailed analysis of movement helped a coffee business set up their workstation so they were able to make 25% more coffees an hour
- Store wide measurement at Schuh sparked a long-term productivity shift
Read the full story